Tuesday, December 29, 2009

December 2

Wednesday. 12.02.09

I counted yesterday, and between Pete and myself we have 22 concerts/gigs in 20 days.

Yes.  

22 performances in 20 days.

Last night we weren't performing, but rather watching... and listening to Placido Domingo in "Tamerlano" with the LA Opera at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.  Talk about amazing!!

Tonight I had "the most depressing gig in the world", aka the Candlelight Service at Forest Lawn.  It's depressing b/c it's a service for those who have lost someone recently as they prepare for Christmas and have to deal with empty stockings, empty places at the table, etc.  It's a needed service, but the real reason it's depressing to me is because it isn't a Christian service.  Many of these people have no hope of seeing their loved ones again.  They don't believe in God or eternal life or anything and so the service has a message along the lines of: "even though we'll never see them again, they will never leave us because they'll live forever in our memories".

Meanwhile, I'm playing cello and hundreds of people are listening and sobbing uncontrollably.  I don't mean to be disrespectful at all... I hope it's a blessing to them.  I hope it helps them find peace.  I hope the Christmas music might point them towards God, who loves them.  So... it's worth it... but it's still "the most depressing gig in the world".

On a lighter subject, this photo cracks me up :-)
In Em's hand is a Christmas ornament of a trombone that she likes to 'play'.  Pete took this photo this morning and then told me that she went and got his stand and set it up, then the ornament and was standing there 'practicing'.  (aka holding the trombone up to her face and making loud noises).  :)  
Just like Daddy.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment